Until this past year, I have never succeeded much in growing things. I was one of those people who could kill a cactus, which I did my freshman year of college. I started growing some select herbs a few years ago, and that seemed to work. Then, this past year, with the purchase of our home, I began to really plant and grow things. What an awesome experience it has been to see: the sage plant triple in size; the daffodils grow from bulbs; the ajuga spread out and hang in there; and even the one or two sweat peas that took hold. I have to say, I've got the bug to grow things. Although we have a small yard in the back of our house, it gets very little sun, and we don't want to use up all the space on growing vegetables (where would Roscoe play, and what wouldn't Roscoe eat?). This is a common problem in our neigborhood since we have so many trees. But the trees are lovely and keep our part of town cooler than other parts. So the question becomes where to grow?
Lucky for me, I have amazing neighbors. In particular, one neighbor found out about an empty parcel of land right around the corner from our house. For the past three months or so she has worked diligently with a group of our neighbors to start up a community garden. As of today, our group has signed a lease for one parcel of the land, began the process of hooking up water and prepping the land, reserved out all of the plots in the garden and even come up with a name.
I wish I had started this blog earlier so that I could detail all the steps that have gone into starting this community garden in the middle of an urban area. However, I guess I'll have to start here. I am on the compost committee and we are having our first meeting this week. I assume that will be the next exciting step that I have to document. I can't wait to see what the future holds for our community garden.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment