Sunday, April 18, 2010

winter vegetables

Alright, so I completely and totally slacked at following up on the winter vegetables. The brief recap being:
  • Celery- grew healthy and happy. It didn't ever get large enough in the stalk to become snacking celery, so we didn't use as much as we should have. We used a bit in soups etc.
  • Peas- they grew very abundantly and healthy. We got a small bag a week for over a month.
  • Brocolli- it was fruitful. Slightly spciy. We enjoyed it for probably a couple of months.
  • Brussel sprous- got attacked by a bug so we didn't eat it.
  • onions and leeks- we planted the starters from the nursery, but did not thin them as I gues you are supposed to do. Note for next year, thin them out.
  • Beets- they came in pretty good, but really got healthy a little late. While they tasted sweet, we thought they might have been in the ground a little long. They may have benefitted from going in a little earlier. This was the only thing we started from see.

I think that's about it. The brocolli, peas and beets were all very exciting. I'll keep better tabs next year of what we get in the ground, and maybe we'll aim for September.

No comments:

Post a Comment