I realize its only been a few weeks since we planted the actual vegetables that are growing. But I am so excited and can’t wait until we actually get to eat food I’ve grown. So in the meantime, I am going to figure out how I plan to use all of the vegetables we are growing. So, the following is a list of things I hope to make this winter with our first vegetables.
1) Stir fry- This has the potential of using broccoli, peas, onions, of course garlic
2) I LOVE Cesar salad, so I can’t wait to make one with our own romaine. I use Brianna’s Asiago Cesar Dressing, it is vegetarian and delicious. Here is my big vegetarian secret: Generally I will get Cesar Salads unless the menu says that it has anchovies. It is one of the two items that I just don’t ask about. The other item is refried beans. Luckily, living in California, people are super health conscious and I think about 50% of the time the beans probably aren’t made with any lard. The other 50% I just like to think are the 50% of Mexican restaurants I don’t eat at. I feel from my days of asking if the Cesar has anchovies, that it is probably more than 50% without (excluding places where the menu specifically calls out anchovies). Is this really something I should publicly fess up to? I just love these things so much. Well regardless of sharing my shameful secret, I do know that the Cesar Salads I make with my home grown romaine will be 100% vegetarian.
3) Broth: We generally make a couple of batches of broth a year. This is because we get so many different winter vegetables in our CSA that we just can’t possibly make it through all of them. So we try and use as much of the greens in particular as possible by making broth. However, I don’t recall that we ever used celery in our vegetable broth, and if we did, it would have been celery from the store. So this will be exciting to be able to use our own celery for this purpose. I really like eating plain celery too. And, can it go in the stir fry above?
4) Borscht: I love beets so much that we always just eat them either plan, or roasted with goat cheese. However, hopefully we will have so many of them that we will need to think of something new to do. I have never made borscht and will be excited to try this.
5) Brussel sprouts: I can’t think of anything to do, but eat them plain. Heidi of 101 cookbooks has a way to cook them that I will probably end up trying.
6) Garlic: garlic goes in everything I have written about above.
I think I must be hungry.
Friday, October 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment