Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Growing!










A little over a week ago we took the plastic off of our plot. I was getting really antsy. We didn't actually have time to plant anything or play in the dirt at all, but I really just wanted to do something. So we hopped over, uncovered our plot, and made a path of rocks down the middle. I just couldn't leave our little piece of land unused any more.



Then this past weekend, we really went to work. Saturday we got 1/2 yard of compost and mixed it into our plot. I thought it was going to be really expensive, but we paid about $13 for a good 5 or 6 wheelbarrow's full. (Plus, we used all the compost we made at home to put our plants and tree in the ground out front, so we were out.) It was harder work than I anticipated. I really gave my arms a work out with the maddox, but it was fun.



Sunday we went and bought our plants and put them in the ground. We now have growing from starter plants: peas, romaine, brocolli, brussel sprouts, red onions, green onions, garlic and something that the container said was leeks. As they look nothing like leeks, we are dubbing them faux leeks. I'll let you know what they turn out to be and whether or not they are tasty. Finally, we put some beet seeds in to grow from scratch. I really hope those take. Not just because I LOVE beets, but because it is cool to be starting something from seed.



Oh, and Jason put together our lovely trellis for the peas. We did a concept like this along the side of our house- just tied together some bamboo with jute, and you have a trellis.



So that's it for now. We have vegetables growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment